THE STRONG, SILENT TYPE
Steel is the optimum material for acoustical door assemblies. These doors and frames are resoundingly popular in buildings where sound control is critical, such as meeting rooms, hotels, government buildings, and buildings located near airports and highways. Even traditional office buildings benefit from acoustically rated doors and frames because a quieter workplace leads to higher productivity, less sick time, and higher employee retention.
Steelcraft offers a selection of acoustical product options. Can’t find what you are looking for? Contact your local salesperson for additional STC door and frame solutions.
UNDERSTANDING THE RATINGS
A critical factor to understand when specifying acoustic doors and frames is the Sound Transmission Class, or STC rating.
- The STC rating is calculated in accordance with ASTM E413.
- It’s a single number rating for interior building partitions that are subjected to mid to high frequency noises.
- The higher the number, the better the noise isolation.
- Standard steel doors often have an STC rating in the 25-35 range.
- Specifying a door with an STC rating in the 40s is adequate in most situations, but in settings where sound control is critical, such as an office where confidential meetings are held, doors above STC 45 may be needed.
See the following Steelcraft products for STC applications: